The Old Republic era is a very fun era to explore, with events more centered on the galaxy as a whole than very specific characters. Because of its lack of focus on individuals it allows more freedom while still adhering to the canon. If you plan to run a campaign in the Old Republic Era then there are some important things to keep in mind while doing so. Having useful resources on hand is the first. Below is a list of useful resources that can benefit any Old Republic campaign.
- The Old Republic Encyclopedia is perhaps the single most important resource for anyone wanting to run a campaign in this era. It is filled to the brim with useful information, statistics, and images that can help anyone wanting to adventure in the galaxy of old.
- The next resource is a bit more for long term planning but the Star Wars The Old Republic MMO by Bioware is massive and filled with sidequests and different locations that can help to give ideas for a campaign with any type of party. The game also includes 8 full campaigns that can be played for ideas for jedi, bounty hunters, sith, soldiers, and smugglers. It also provides an amazing visual reference for any location, vehicle, or character you need. The ability to use the galactic trade network to test outfits and combinations you can then save pictures of. A great tool to allow players to get the exact look they want.
- TOR Fashion is a site filled with characters that have already been made in the MMO and cataloged by species and career. You can use these for character inspirations or quick NPC ideas.
- We have posted a 3 part collection of vehicles for the Old Republic that can be found here, here, and here.
- We also posted a collection of NPC stats to use in the setting here.
- In the event that you want your campaign to take place before the MMO’s setting you can explore the world and gain ideas with the original Knights of the Old Republic games.
- Someone by the name of Thelyssani made a map to show the territory divide of the Old Republic that can be used to help guide campaigns.
Resources are important but knowing your stuff while playing is more so. There are a lot of things to keep in mind about the Old Republic era that made it very different from the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War era.
- Jedi and Sith are everywhere. Force users no longer need to hide their powers and the average civilian is actually pretty knowledgeable about both religions.
- Jedi and Sith gear is much easier to come across making the rarity of lightsabers and other related items much lower, perhaps around a 5 or 6 for most items.
- Because so many Force institutions are still around and because of the more intense state of the galaxy it might be more enjoyable to begin the game using the alternative rules for Knight Play found in the Force and Destiny core rulebook. It states the characters begin with an additional 150 experience and 9,000 credits. There are other rules included that can be found on page 104. Because of the power seen in the Old Republic videogame I’ve started my players at 300 experience in the past but it’s always up to you.
- If the group plays during the Cold War then it is possible to run a pirate campaign with them being privateers for one of the two major factions.
- Major criminal organizations like the Black Sun are replaced by groups such as the Exchange and Czerka Corp.
- Unlike with the Rebellion both sides are more evenly matched meaning players can engage in larger-scale warfare and frontal assaults with landing craft and armor units. Guerrilla warfare is less used.
- With the Sith being a major faction it is possible to run a Sith campaign that focuses on the war with the Jedi or the fighting within the Sith hierarchy.
- Some campaign ideas in the books can be repurposed to fit into the Old Republic setting and can be enhanced with the inclusion of the era’s politics and prevalent Force users. For instance the “Improving Station” campaign idea found on page 87 of Far Horizons can be used in the Old Republic by simply changing the Black Sun to the Exchange and the sector rangers would be from the Republic instead of the Empire.
- Alderaan is not a pile of space dust and is actually a very important location during this time. Adventures here can easily involve Politicos and other Colonist characters as well as Jedi and Sith trying to help their side.
- The Old Republic era is better if run with all three sourcebooks as it is much more open to having mixed parties than the normal setting.